[OT] The Usual Arithmetic Confusions

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 21:01:33 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 5 February 2022 at 10:11:48 UTC, Mark wrote:
> Also, I don't think being a library type is a mark of shame.
> Depending on the language, they can be just as useful and
> almost as convenient as built-in types. C++'s std::byte was
> mentioned on this thread - it's a library type.

Is it a library type though?  I am not sure there is clear
distinction between language and library in C++. So you can have
"library features" that are implemented using intrinsics, which
might make them language-features if they cannot be done within
the language in a portable fashion. It is kinda hard to tell
sometimes, maybe the huge spec makes it more clear, but it is at
least not obvious to me as a programmer.