80 bit floating point emulator

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 13:10:46 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 12:20:01 UTC, max haughton wrote:
> 80 bits actually exists in the hardware.

Yes, IIRC it is partial hardware partial microcode in later
generations. Intel has considered it to be legacy instructions
for 20 years…

> real isn't defined to be 80bits, it's just the widest float
> available in the hardware.

Yes, which is why I wonder why people would want 80 bits in
software. If you do it in software it probably is better to use a
struct with independent fields rather than bit-packing.

The demand for more than 64 bits is low, I think people that want
this will use a well tested and maintained multi-precision
library.