Potential of a compiler that creates the executable at once

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 04:18:42 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 10 February 2022 at 09:41:12 UTC, rempas wrote:
> A couple of months ago, I found out about a language called
> [Vox](https://github.com/MrSmith33/vox) which uses a design
> that I haven't seen before by any other compiler which is to
> not create object files and then link them together but
> instead, always create an executable at once.

  TCC (*Tiny C Compiler*) does this like 10 years ago. TCC was
originally made as part of the obfuscation programming challenge,
and then got updated to be more complete.

  https://www.bellard.org/tcc/

  I believe most of the compilers base is involving optimization
for various architectures and versions of CPU's, along with
cross-compiling. GNU/GCC has tons of legacy code in the back that
it still uses i believe.

  To note, back in 1996 or about there i wrote an assembler that
took x86 and could compiler itself. But wasn't compatible with
any other code and couldn't use object files or anything (*as it
was all made from scratch when i was 12-14*). However it did
compiler directly to a COM file. I'll just say from experience,
there are advantages but they don't outweigh the disadvantages.
That's my flat opinion going from here.