Potential of a compiler that creates the executable at once

rempas rempas at tutanota.com
Sat Feb 12 07:44:38 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 12 February 2022 at 07:08:17 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:

> I use that dumb feature most every day. It's the most
> productivity enhancing feature I've added in a long time.
>
> For example, I formerly wrote:
>
>     import core.stdio;
>     int main() {
>        printf("%d\n", expression);
>        return 0;
>     }
>
>     dmd test
>     ./test
>
> every time I wanted to see what `expression` evaluated to. Now
> I just do:
>
>    int test() { return expression; }
>
>    dmd -c test -vasm
>
> Shazzam! Mucho less typitty-tippity-tip-typing!

THANK YOU!!! Every compiler needs that even if they can output
binary formats directly (TCC I'm talking to you!) because it is
easier to see the assembly rather than imagine the instructions
in your head as humans are know to make mistakes. Thank you for
adding this Walter!