Potential of a compiler that creates the executable at once

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 11:04:48 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 12 February 2022 at 08:12:03 UTC, rempas wrote:

> Funny enough there are people that don't care about compilation
> speed and are willing to have their project compile even twice
> as fast for 5% runtime performance. The same people of course
> don't have any problem using Python in other cases...

Yeah .. users... erh...

.. but compiler writers are a different breed all together.

(well, they used to be anyway)

It used to be, that the golden rule of compiler writers was
"performance is (almost) everything".

i.e.

- Compile time performance -> how long it takes to generate code.

- Runtime performance -> how fast that code runs.

(Almost) nothing else used to matter (to compiler writers)

Why almost? Cause in the end, you need accurate results more than
you need speed.

(ref: Expert C Programming -  P van der Linden 1994)

I see the performance of (other) compilers these days, and I
wonder.. what ever happened to that bread of compiler writers...
from long ago...

Luckily, we still have one of them.