Potential of a compiler that creates the executable at once

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Feb 12 20:22:44 UTC 2022

On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 07:31:28PM +0000, rempas via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> If you get to a point that runtime becomes too slow for a specific
> task then I don't think that 20%-40% will make such of a big
> difference really. There may be cases that even the smallest
> performance boost will make the difference but were that a lot in your
> experience?
[...]

20%-40% is a HUGE difference. Think about a 60fps 3D game where you have
only 16ms to update the screen for the next frame. If your code takes
~13ms to update a frame when compiled with LDC -O2, then compiling D
will not even be an option because it would not be able to meet the
framerate and the game will be jerky and unplayable.  If the difference
is 2% or 3% then there may still be room for negotiation. 20%-40% is
half an order of magnitude. There is no way you can compromise with
that.

Also, for long-running CPU-intensive computations, which one would you
rather have: your complex computation to finish in 2 days, which may
just make the deadline, or ~4 days, which will definitely *not* meet the
deadline?  Again, if the difference is 2% or 3% then you may still be
able to work with it. 20%-40% is unacceptable.

Written on the window of a clothing store: No shirt, no shoes, no service.