Direction for @safe/-dip1000

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Mon Feb 14 21:43:09 UTC 2022

On Monday, 14 February 2022 at 21:02:31 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:

> @live does not do what an ownership/borrowing system is
> supposed to do. I have tried to make this point many times, but
> most people seem to still assume the opposite. I really don't
> understand why. The proposed design has been public for a long
> time now and it's actually immediately obvious that it's pretty
> much useless in @safe code, as @live is a function annotation.

The borrow/checker system and ownership are two separate things.
Borrow/checker ensures that there is only one mutable access at
one time or several immutable accesses.

Ownership is a completely different topic which connects to
memory management. The infamous ownership system in Rust only
allows one ownership at one time which is tied to their move
semantics.

The borrow/checker in D is something I haven't completely
understood and what question it is supposed to solve.