Missing python-like chaining in D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 20:10:46 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 23 February 2022 at 10:01:21 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
wrote:
> I *strongly* agree with you. Cleaning-up the language design
> (bytes/string, print/print()) is _always_ a winning move.

Indeed. Also, it is much easier to upgrade a language that is
statically typed. In my experience the Python 2 to Python 3
transition was a relatively smooth ride, and it can be made even
smoother for a statically typed language.

For D specifically, you can just have a version 2 and a version 3
front end use the same IR/backend and allow both version 2 and
version 3 code in the the same executable.

(I have implemented "a < b < c" in an experimental extensions of
the D compiler. It was easy to do, and isn't even a breaking
change.)