[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Feb 27 10:26:14 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 01:29:58 UTC, forkit wrote:
> On Saturday, 26 February 2022 at 23:00:24 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>>
>> That "critical mass" is the key issue, so what is good for C++
>> does not translate to other languages.
>
> c++'s critical mass is more of happy accident, than anything
> (i.e. there were no serious contenders for that same market at
> the time, or for a very long time since).
>
> Same is true for C.
>
> Same is true for Java.
>
> Then C# came along...
>
> There are plenty eager to see a better c++.
>
> I personally do not think Rust is that alternative. Why?
> Because they used computer science alone to create a new
> language for 'modern times'.
>
> Instead, they should have combined computer science with
> psychological science, and they would have come up with a
> better syntax that is less cognitively challenging (something
> C++ is working hard towards.. well..in part).

Why do I still bother with C++, when my work languages are Java
and .NET languages?

While they stole C++'s thunder on GUI and distributed computing,
their runtimes, or native bindings to the host platforms, or
GPGPU programming bindings, require dealing with C++ in one way
or the other.

Using D instead, would be great, but in those scenarios it would
be adding just another layer to debug between the work that has
to be delivered in Java/.NET anyway, and the SDKs that are C++
only, so why bother.

Same applies to any language pretending to take away C++'s throne
in such domains.

What D needs is focus on being great at a specific domain, as
most IT departments pick languages based on platforms, not the
other way around.