[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Feb 27 16:56:41 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 16:37:42 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 15:17:01 UTC, Bruce Carneal
> wrote:
>> C++ is today's safe choice
>
> One problem is that the people left in C++ have avoided going
> with either Java, C#, or any of the new native languages. The
> population that said no those AND to the newer native languages
> skews towards very conservative choices. As such no language
> seen as "alternative" enter their worldview because "only C++
> can do it".
>
> Even if you compete with them, the C++ competition will still
> won't believe there are alternatives to C++. In the real world,
> starting a C++ codebase today is much less cost-effective than
> in D, and this debt cause a lot of dividend payments, and also
> it costs a lot of senior C++ engineers to make sense of the
> most complicated programming language we have.
>
> The only way is to displace the incumbent not convince them.

Languages one their own are meaningless, you aren't competing
with C++, you are competing with platforms and industry standards
that happen to make use of C++.

Disrupting those platforms and industry standards with D, that
should be the focus.