[OT] - C++ exceptions are becoming more and more problematic

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 18:02:54 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 16:37:42 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 February 2022 at 15:17:01 UTC, Bruce Carneal
> wrote:
>> C++ is today's safe choice
>
> One problem is that the people left in C++ have avoided going
> with either Java, C#, or any of the new native languages. The
> population that said no those AND to the newer native languages
> skews towards very conservative choices. As such no language
> seen as "alternative" enter their worldview because "only C++
> can do it".

Yes.  It's frustrating and pointless to try to "convince" those
who have made up their mind, doubly so with those who lazily
prefer to predict failure for anything new rather than cheer on
others working to improve upon the status quo.

> Even if you compete with them, the C++ competition will still
> won't believe there are alternatives to C++. In the real world,
> starting a C++ codebase today is much less cost-effective than
> in D, and this debt cause a lot of dividend payments, and also
> it costs a lot of senior C++ engineers to make sense of the
> most complicated programming language we have.

Yes.  Staying with C++, especially if you've got a very large
code base, makes more sense to me than *starting* a new C++
project.