Feedback Thread: DIP 1042--ProtoObject--Community Review Round 1

Elronnd elronnd at elronnd.net
Mon Jan 10 14:32:54 UTC 2022

This does not retain backwards compatibility, because 'Object'
can no longer be counted upon to be a supertype of all class
instances.

Suppose I maintain library X, which does some work on Objects.
It simply treats Object as a top type (for classes), without
using any special functionality.  Somebody else maintains library
Y, which defines a few classes.  This DIP is approved, and the
library Y maintainer decides they don't need hashes, so they
redefine their classes in terms of ProtoObject rather than Object.

This is fine; hashing was not an advertised part of their API,
and no one was using it anyway.  No one's code broke as a result
of this.  I would nominally feel very comfortable making such a
change and would not consider it a compatibility break.  _Except_
that, when a user tries to combine libraries X and Y, their code
will break.

Hence, while this change does avoid breaking any code as such, it
forces that breakage straight into userspace, and does so in a
forceful fashion which does not really permit deprecation
periods.  Moreover, I do not have any way to update library X in
a manner which retains compatibility, as even if I switch from
processing Objects to ProtoObjects, this breaks compatibility if
I ever return such an object.

Suppose that, instead, we make 'Object' the empty top type as
well as the default superclass.  This is a compatibility break,
and is therefore much scarier.  But practically, there will be
much less silent breakage, because problems will manifest where
they are actually located.