Discussion Thread: DIP 1042--ProtoObject--Community Review Round 1

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 23:48:59 UTC 2022

On Monday, 10 January 2022 at 18:12:19 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> As long as we're bikeshedding, I'd like to submit `RootObject`
> for consideration.

It would be a usability mistake to call the root object for
something different than just "object".

It would be better to just move mutex to SynchronizedObject and
either use source-to-source updates or give the users descriptive
error messages.

D needs to focus more on usability and less on backwards
compatibility. Streamline, clean up, not obfuscate.

Use proper versioning and let users decide whether they should
upgrade or not. Or provide a compiler option for retaining old
behaviour. Just don't add more mess to the mix in an attempt to
"fix" things. Do it properly, or leave it as is.