Discussion Thread: DIP 1042--ProtoObject--Community Review Round 1

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Tue Jan 11 02:22:06 UTC 2022

On 10.01.22 14:48, Mike Parker wrote:

> This is the discussion thread for the first round of Community Review of
> DIP 1042, "ProtoObject":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/2e6d428f42b879c0220ae6adb675164e3ce3803c/DIPs/DIP1042.md

I like the fact that there will be a way out of the additional Object
bloat without using extern(C++). (My preferred way out of this would
still be to change Object.)

However, I strongly dislike the new interfaces with their opinions about
which qualifiers have to be on which methods. `const` prevents any kind
of lazy initialization, and realistically, what's the use case of those
interfaces?