Discussion Thread: DIP 1042--ProtoObject--Community Review Round 1

Rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Tue Jan 11 06:25:34 UTC 2022

On Monday, 10 January 2022 at 18:09:21 UTC, russhy wrote:

> Does the language not have enough to avoid OOP? let's solve
> that first!

Here we talk about "Object" which - I fail to understand the
surprise - it is about OOP.

More than that, since it is a tight dependency between objects
and the garbage collector, what improvement will render a @nogc
thrown here and there? Currently there is little support în the
language for using objects outside gc, I really don't understand
why limit the overrides to patterns that will be difficult to
satisfy. In my opinion the only qualifier that must be put to
these basic functions is @safe. Hashing can be a costly operation
(think at files or streams), const will prevent any caching.
Comparing strings for example can discover invalid unicode
characters, why nothrow? Comparing timestamps may need reading
the current time zone, why pure?