What GUI lib do you tend to use in D? if you don't use the one you want, what's preventing it?

norm normowtree at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 06:49:22 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 9 January 2022 at 05:53:14 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:
> On 1/4/22 9:04 PM, norm wrote:
>>
>> https://gtkd.org/
>>
>> This is the only GUI library for D I'd consider full featured
>> and commercial ready. Our experience has been that it just
>> worked out of the box and so far we have not had any bugs in
>> the bindings, just our code. We tried others but they either
>> were too minimal or the bindings too immature.
>
> This is beyond sad for D. The forever-neverending shitstorm
> that has always been the user-facing side of GTK is one of the
> top reasons I abandoned the tech sector as a whole. D's been
> around for how long now, and apparently the *only* worthwhile D
> GUI is *still* cemented to the ungodly POS that is the GTK
> project? A small, very naive part of me was really hoping to
> see that at least something non-trivial might've improved in D
> since I last checked in (because god knows it certainly hasn't
> anywhere else in the tech sector) GTK of all things.....

Where would you go?

GTK just worked out of the box first time and the interface from
D was pleasant enough to use. Making it look pretty was simple,
most of it bog standard css, and not an interesting enough
engineering problem to even consider in the selection.

Qt with D is off the table because there is nothing production
ready and tbh Qt was the only framework that came close to the
feature set we needed. The other options are personal projects
but none had the features or maturity we required. Windows/Linux,
skinning, translations, layout, quality *and correct* 2D
rendering (maps and print preview) etc. The personal projects are
great for something where you might use tkinter or the like.

Also we were fighting just to use D because it is seen as either
buggy with nasty gotchas ready to bite or simply or not worth the
effort when we have pyqt or pyside with a single pip install.