Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 14:24:59 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 13 January 2022 at 07:46:32 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 January 2022 at 22:50:38 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> What do you think?

> D can have a go at it, but only by plugging into the LLVM
> ecosystem where C++ is the name of the game, and given it is
> approaching Linux level of industry contributors it isn't going
> anywhere.

Yes.  The language independent work in LLVM in the accelerator
area is hugely important for dcompute, essential.  Gotta surf
that wave as we don't have the manpower to go independent.  I
dont think *anybody* has that amount of manpower, hence the
collaboration/consolidation around LLVM as a back-end for
accelerators.

> There was a time to try overthrow C++, that was 10 years ago,
> LLVM was hardly relevant and GPGPU computing still wasn't
> mainstream.

Yes.  The "overthrow" of C++ should be a non-goal, IMO, starting
yesterday.