Feedback Thread: DIP 1042--ProtoObject--Community Review Round 1

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 17:35:27 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 13 January 2022 at 17:18:47 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> On Monday, 10 January 2022 at 13:48:42 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> ## Feedback Thread
>>
>> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community
>> Review of DIP 1042, "ProtoObject".
>
> I still think [snip]

Oh, I forgot my overall opinion. I guess it's positive. Yes, even
now you can make your own object to accomplish mostly the same
and yes, afterthought additions like this do make the object tree
to look ugly. But the real value of this DIP is that we're going
to have a standard "better object" instead of a dozen different
ones in DUB packages.

Another opinion would have been to make a new object that
inherits the old one, instead of vice-versa. But this option
makes it possible to statically reject `opCmp` invocations, as
opposed to throwing an exception at runtime. And we also get to
kill the mandatory monitor without needing to break code.