Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 20:38:19 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 13 January 2022 at 19:35:28 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 January 2022 at 18:41:54 UTC, Bruce Carneal
> wrote:
>
>> Yes.  We should evaluate our efforts by comparing (competing)
>> with alternatives where available.  D/dcompute is already, for
>> my GPU work at least, much better than CUDA/C++.  Concretely:
>> I can achieve equivalent or higher performance more quickly
>> with more readable code than I could formerly with CUDA/C++.
>> There are some things that are trivial in D kernels (like
>> live-in-register/mem-bandwidth-minimized stencil processing)
>> that would require "heroic" effort in CUDA/C++.
>
> Does anyone else know anything about this? Burying it deep in a
> mailing list post isn't exactly the best way to publicize it.
> Ironically, I might add, in a discussion about lack of uptake.

I know, right?  Ridiculously big opportunity/effort ratio for
dlang and near zero awareness...

I usually talk a bit about dcompute at the beerconfs but to date
I've only corresponded on the topic with Nicholas, Ethan, and Max
(a little).

Ethan might have a sufficiently compelling economic case for
promoting dcompute to his company in the relatively near future.
Nicholas recently addressed their need for access to the texture
hardware and fitting within their work flow, but there may be
other requirements...  An adoption by a world class game studio
would, of course, be very good news but I think Ethan is slammed
(perpetually, and in a mostly good way, I think) so it might be a
while.

Before promoting dcompute broadly I believe we should work
through the installation/build/deployment procedures and some
examples for the "new to accelerators" crowd.  It's no big deal
as it sits for old hands but first impressions are important and
even veteran programmers will appreciate an "it just works" on
ramp.

If you're interested I suggest we continue the conversation on
dcompute at the next beerconf where we can plot its path to world
domination... :-)