Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Bruce Carneal bcarneal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 21:39:07 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 13 January 2022 at 21:06:45 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 January 2022 at 20:38:19 UTC, Bruce Carneal
> wrote:
>> I know, right?  Ridiculously big opportunity/effort ratio for
>> dlang and near zero awareness...
>
> If dcompute is here to stay, why not put it in the official
> documentation for D as an "optional" part of the spec?

There are two reasons that I have not promoted dcompute to the
general community up to now:

1) Any resultant increase in support load would fall on one
volunteer (that is not me) and

2) IMO, a better on-ramp, particularly for those new to
accelerators, is needed: additional examples, docs, and "it just
works" install/build/deploy vetting would go a long way to
reducing the support load and increasing happy uptake.
Additionally, Nicholas has a list of "TODOs" that probably should
be worked through before additional promotion occurs.  None of
them impact my work but they might hit others.

Nicholas opinion on the matter is much more important than mine
as he already has a non-D "day job" and would bear the brunt of
a, possibly premature, promotion of dcompute.