Discussion Thread: DIP 1042--ProtoObject--Community Review Round 1

Dom DiSc dominikus at scherkl.de
Fri Jan 14 04:19:42 UTC 2022

On Friday, 14 January 2022 at 03:41:49 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> No, they are not inherently orderable, the orderings you
> mentions are external orders imposed on them.
Nothing is inherently ordered. The order is always some new
property given to the object in question. Numbers are nothing
then a (unordered) set plus an order given to them (an axiom on
its own). The order is never "inherent" and there are always
endless different ways to assign an order to a set of objects.
The important part is: it is mostly useful to do so (assigning a
specific order to a set of objects), thereby making from a set an
ordered set.
And especially on computers a set always need at least some
"default" order (e.g. address), otherwise you cannot access its
elements.
But I agree that it is useful to have a way to assign some
predicate to a class by which its instances should be ordered (at
least if you don't like the default order: the memory address
where it is stored), but that need not be a member function, so I
omitted it.