Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 14 10:24:15 UTC 2022

On Friday, 14 January 2022 at 09:39:58 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
>> The main benefit of dcompute is turning kernel launches into
>> type safe one-liners, as opposed to brittle, type unsafe,
>> paragraphs of code.
>
> Sound indeed less brittle than separate langage. In my time in
> CUDA I never got to use <<<>>>.

Pity, the <<<>>> is actually quite nice, and not at all brittle,
but it is CUDA C/C++ (and maybe fortran?) only, AMDs attempts at
HIP notwithstanding. The main thing that makes it brittle is that
is you change the signature of the kernel then you need to
remember to change wherever it is invoked, and the compiler will
not tell you that you forgot something.

> In OpenCL you'd have to templatize the string kernels quite
> quickly, and with CUDA you'd have to also make lots of entry
> points. Plus all the import problems, so I can see how it's
> better with LDC intrinsics.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.