Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 17:38:36 UTC 2022

On Friday, 14 January 2022 at 16:57:21 UTC, Bruce Carneal wrote:
> I'm hopeful that SoCs, with their relatively friendlier
> accelerator configurations, will be the economic enabler for
> widespread uptake of dcompute.

It is difficult to predict the future, but it is at least
possible that the mainstream home-computing market will be
dominated by smaller focused machines with SoCs. If we ignore
Apple, then maybe the market will split into something like
Chrome-books for non-geek users, something like Steam
Deck/Machine for gamers and some other SoC with builtin FPGA or
some other tinkering-friendly configuration for Linux
enthusiasts. It seems reasonable that only storage will be on
discrete chips in the long term. Drops in price levels tend to
favour volume markets, so it is reasonable to expect SoCs to win
out.