Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 18:17:10 UTC 2022

On Monday, 17 January 2022 at 06:13:03 UTC, Era Scarecrow wrote:
> would be really cool. Imagine the huge speedup of say 7zip or
> other where simple processes, pattern matching or
> encoding/processing could speed up if you could make use of
> those **AS WELL AS** the number of cores you have.

Yes, but compression/decompression is too complex. You need to be
careful with data dependencies so that the computations can be
run in parallel on a massive scale. I don't know what the future
holds, but today you also need a core to feed the GPU. Maybe in
the future the GPU will be able to "feed itself" like an
independent actor? Hard to tell.  For FPGAs that ought to be a
possibility, but they are only available in specialty setups.

Maybe we need an open source computer platform with more
interesting hardware (using commodity chips)?