Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Jan 18 20:28:52 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 18 January 2022 at 17:03:33 UTC, sfp wrote:

> You must also consider that the items that bioinfornatics
> listed are all somewhat contingent on each other. In isolation
> they aren't nearly as useful. You might have a numpy/scipy
> clone, but if you don't also have a matplotlib clone (or some
> other means of doing data visualization from D) their utility
> is a bit limited.

To my knowledge pyd still works. There's not much to be gained
from rewriting a plotting library from scratch. It's not common
that you're plotting 100 million times for each run of your
program.

I see too much NIH syndrome here. If you can call another
language, all you need to do is write convenience wrappers on top
of the many thousands of hours of work done in that language. You
can replace the pieces where it makes sense to do so. The goal of
the D program is whatever analysis you're doing on top of those
libraries, not the libraries themselves.

We call C libraries all the time. Nobody thinks that's a problem.
A bunch of effort has gone into calling C++ libraries and there's
tons of support for that effort. When it comes to calling any
other language, even for things that don't require performance,
there's no interest. The ability to interoperate with other
languages is the number one reason I started using D and the main
reason I still use it.