Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Wed Jan 19 07:29:23 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 07:24:09 UTC, M.M. wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 06:58:55 UTC, Paulo Pinto
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 19 January 2022 at 04:45:20 UTC, forkit wrote:
>>>
>>> Not just 'feature' parity, but 'performance' parity too:
>>>
>>> "Broad adoption of high-level languages by the scientific
>>> community is unlikely without compiler optimizations to
>>> mitigate the performance penalties these languages
>>> abstractions impose." -
>>> https://www.cs.rice.edu/~vs3/PDF/Joyner-MainThesis.pdf
>>
>> That paper is from 2008, meanwhile in 2021,
>>
>> https://www.hpcwire.com/off-the-wire/julia-joins-petaflop-club//
>>
>> This is what D has to compete against, not only C++ with the
>> existing SYSCL/CUDA tooling and their ongoing integration into
>> ISO C++.
>
> I am not sure what the article tells: that Julia is now popular
> and people use it? Or that D (and other languages) need to
> compete against self-written PR articles?
>
> (Many system-programming languages can achieve the same
> performance as what the article describes, when several
> research institutes combine forces on just that.)
>
> But yes, Julia's focus on small niche, and its popularity in
> that niche makes it attractive for contributors.

You might call it self-written PR articles, or educate yourself
who is using it.

https://juliacomputing.com/case-studies versus
https://dlang.org/orgs-using-d.html

Also I did mention C++, which you glossed over on your eagerness
to devalue Julia's market domain versus D among HPC communities.

As someone that spent two years at ATLAS TDAQ HLT, I know which
languages those folks would be adopting, but hey it is a piece of
self-written PR.