Scientific computing and parallel computing C++23/C++26

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 08:56:22 UTC 2022

On Friday, 21 January 2022 at 03:23:59 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> There are two major advantages for compile time features, for
> the host and for the device (e.g. GPU).

Are these resolved at compile time (before the executable is
installed on the computer) or are they resolved at runtime?

I guess there might be instances where you might want to consider
to change the entire data layout to fit the hardware, but then
you to some extent outside of what most D programmers would be
willing to do.

>> The goal for C++ parallelism is to make it fairly transparent
>> to the programmer. Or did I misunderstand what he said?
>
> You want it to be transparent, not invisible.

The goal is to make it look like a regular C++ library, no extra
syntax.

> Wont work, D needs to be able to call the objective-c.
> I mean you could use a C or C++ shim, but that would be pretty
> ugly.

Just write the whole runtime in Objective-C++. Why would it be
ugly?