Incremental garbage collection

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 09:34:27 UTC 2022

On Friday, 21 January 2022 at 04:17:53 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> I've recently bought (but waiting on delivery) The Garbage
> Collection Handbook. It covers generational GC's, memory
> allocators (which is what I'm interested in) and like 13 pages
> on write barriers.

I've browsed through it. The writing style is very accessible, I
think. It also has a chapter on real time garbage collection
("wait-free" collection), but I guess that requires a different
take on the language-runtime. Some also require OS-support, I
guess.

> It would be an interesting experiment to see if we added a
> -enablewb flag and have it enable more GC options at runtime,
> if this allowed some better fitting GC's.

I think many programmers would shoot themselves in the the foot
in @nogc code... You would need very good documentation and
tutorials for that to be a reasonable option.