Incremental garbage collection

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 11:54:51 UTC 2022

On Friday, 21 January 2022 at 11:38:10 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:

> On 22/01/2022 12:27 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
>> On Friday, 21 January 2022 at 11:06:58 UTC, rikki cattermole
>> wrote:

>>> Not likely, it would need a lot of work to bring that up to
>>> todays requirements.
>>
>> What are the requirements?
>
> That project was a masters thesis in 2009 running on 2002 era
> hardware.

Yes, but Notam and CCRMA tend to attract programmers that take
audio seriously (electro acoustic computer music). So, I would
not dismiss it because it is a mater thesis.

> Size of data has changed, hardware has changed. It'll need work
> to prove it can even do the sort of workloads D has even in
> audio space.

Well, in his master thesis he covers the Boehm copy-heap
collector and a collector based on barriers (which seems to use a
lot of memory, but he claims it is essentially wait-free IIRC):
https://www.duo.uio.no/handle/10852/8805

I haven't read the details, and maybe chapter 19 in the GC
handbook is more interesting for you, but it is at least an
example of a practical real time oriented approach to garbage
collection. Which is in some sense is better than the high flying
theories about what can be done in the GC department for D that
tend to "poison" the forum discussions on the topic.