A separate GC idea - multiple D GCs

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 19:23:45 UTC 2022

On 1/21/22 05:56, Chris Katko wrote:

 > some sort of "multiple pool [same process/thread]
 > garbage collection"?

I ended up with that design by accident: My D library had to spawn
multiple D processes instead of multiple threads. This was a workaround
to my inability to execute initialization functions of D shared
libraries that were dynamically loaded by foreign runtimes (Python and
C++ were in the complex picture).

In the end, I realized that my library was using multiple D runtimes on
those multiple D processes. :)

I've never gotten to profiling whether my necessary inter-process
communication was hurting performance. Even if it did, the now-unstopped
worlds might be better in the end. I even thought about making a DConf
presentation about the findings but it never happened. :)

Ali