Incremental garbage collection

Guillaume Piolat first.last at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 20:22:15 UTC 2022

On Friday, 21 January 2022 at 18:53:03 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Hm, how would you use amortized algorithms in a real time
> thread where you want even load on every callback?

Well I was using the term incorrectly, "amortized" in the sense
the large majority of callback will not allocate, so in other
words, the opposite :)

pushack_back leading to realloc can make a lot more trouble
because it moves large amount of memory. Delay lines may need to
be allocated with a max size / pessimized for that reason.

In game-mixer I had to use chunked allocation to avoid that while
decoding an audio file with playback, in the case you want to
keep it in memory.