Incremental garbage collection

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 13:45:52 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 22 January 2022 at 13:19:57 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> Having a decent allocator library at the runtime level
> available for all D code (not just for those with druntime)
> will be key to allowing this to happen.

I think some language adjustments are needed, but it could be a
dialect. Doesn't have to apply to DMD, as it seems to be locked
down at this point.

You basically need some room to experiment to get it right, and
that requires freedom (which will never happen if everyone in the
forums are going to have their say).

So whether you want to focus on ARC, actors/fibers with local GC
or concurrent GC, you should be able to adjust the language so
that your vision can be enabled in a clean fashion.

I don't think having dialects is a big issue. I think it is the
only way forward for automatic memory management + system level
programming. You can design your dialect such that most straight
forward single-threaded code run with next to no changes.

It is either that or another language will grab the user base
that wants it.