Would you pay for GC?

Random Dude wtqdzouiyyrhaijcyy at nthrw.com
Tue Jan 25 06:13:31 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 25 January 2022 at 03:37:57 UTC, Elronnd wrote:
> Apropos recent discussion, here is a serious question: would
> you pay for either of these?
>
> - High-throughput/scalable gc.  High sustained allocation
> rates, large heaps, many cores, compacting&generational
>
> - Concurrent gc.  No pauses

I'd pay to have it removed and replaced with ARC.

GC in it's current form can not compete with other more
performant GCs and it shouldn't. D is in a unique position to
enable people to write code as if they're writing python and also
accommodate them when they want to do low-level optimizations.

If we could just have automatic reference counting both the GC
and No-GC people would be happy. It's okay if that route changes
how pointers work (metadata would have to be added and some code
would break), this is the right move in the long run.