Is there any real reason to use "const"?

rempas rempas at tutanota.com
Tue Jan 25 08:29:18 UTC 2022

On Monday, 24 January 2022 at 18:48:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I used to be a hardcore C programmer. So hardcore that I won an
> award in the IOCCC once (well OK, that's not something to be
> proud of :-D). Correctly answered a C question on an interview
> technical exam that even my interviewer got wrong.  Was totally
> into the philosophy of "the programmer knows better, compiler
> please step aside and stop trying to restrict me". Believed my
> code was perfect, and could not possibly have any bugs because
> I mulled over every line and polished every character. Didn't
> believe in test suites because I hand-tested every function
> when I wrote it so there can't have been any bugs left. And
> besides, test suites are too cumbersome to use.  Used to pride
> myself on my programs never crashing. (And the times they did I
> blamed on incidental factors, like I was too distracted because
> some idiot was WRONG on the internet, gosh the injustice!)
>
> Then I discovered D. And in particular, D's unittest blocks.
> Was very resistant at first (why would I need to test perfect
> code), but they were just so darned convenient (unlike unittest
> frameworks in other languages) they just keep staring at me
> with puppy eyes until I felt so ashamed for not using them.
> Then the unittests started catching bugs. COPIOUS bugs. All
> kinds of boundary cases, careless typos, logic flaws, etc., in
> my "perfect" code.  And EVERY SINGLE TIME I modified a
> function, another unittest started failing on a
> previously-tested case (that I disregarded as having nothing to
> do with my change so not worthy of retesting).
>
> Then this awful realization started dawning on me... my code
> was NOT perfect. In fact, it was anything BUT perfect. My
> "perfect" logic that flowed from my "perfect" envisioning of
> the perfect algorithm was actually full of flaws, logic errors,
> boundary cases I hadn't thought of, typos, and just plain ole
> stupid mistakes. And worst of all, *I* was the one making these
> careless mistakes, practically EVERY SINGLE TIME I wrote any
> code.  What I thought was perfect code was in fact riddled with
> hidden bugs in almost every line.  Usually in lines that I'd
> written tens of thousands of times throughout my career, that I
> thought I could write them perfectly even in my dreams, I knew
> them so well. But it was precisely because of my confidence
> that these "trivial" lines of code were correct, that I
> neglected to scrutinize them, and bugs invariably crept in.
>
> Then I observed top C coders in my company make these very same
> mistakes, OVER AND OVER AGAIN. These were not inexperienced C
> greenhorns who didn't know what they were doing; these were top
> C hackers who have been at it for many decades. Yet they were
> repeating the same age-old mistakes over and over again. I
> began to realize that these were not merely newbie mistakes
> that would go away with experience and expertise. These
> mistakes keep getting made because HUMANS MAKE MISTAKES. And
> because C's philosophy is to trust the programmer, these
> [...]

I hear you very clearly! Thanks! No seriously... THANKS A LOT!!!
I should constantly remind myself that a wise man always learns
from mistakes that have made prior to him and always advance!
Well I also found about "negation" overflow thanks to LDC2 so
yeah, we must have the compiler protect us so "const" will be
implemented! Thanks a lot for your time!