Would you pay for GC?

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 10:31:55 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 25 January 2022 at 10:19:48 UTC, max haughton wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 January 2022 at 03:37:57 UTC, Elronnd wrote:
>> Apropos recent discussion, here is a serious question: would
>> you pay for either of these?
>>
>> - High-throughput/scalable gc.  High sustained allocation
>> rates, large heaps, many cores, compacting&generational
>>
>> - Concurrent gc.  No pauses
>
> If it was delivered the foundation would probably be happy to
> give at least some money (not that we have an unlimited
> supply), on the condition that it were open-sourced.

A contract for this sort of work is always a possibility. That's
what the HR fund is for:

https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NTUxOTc=

Anyone serious about doing a project like this (any relatively
complex project, not just a new GC) can get in touch and we can
discuss it. I'm not saying the foundation *would* pay for any
particular project, but the discussion and possibly a meeting
could lead to that if agreement is reached that it's worth doing.