Why people dislike global variables so much while I find them so convenient?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Jan 25 17:46:50 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 05:10:40PM +0000, Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 January 2022 at 15:47:12 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
[...]
> Toyota, lol. I also had once to interact with software coming from
> them. It was surpzising to say it politely. It was a order system for
> suppliers of parts. The orders were tickets the suppliers had to
> scrape from a website.  The very uncommon feature of the site was that
> it checked credentials (username/password) for the connection but
> didn't check if the client managed to read the ticket or not. Any read
> attempt of the tickets url would delete it on the server.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of why the range API
should not conflate .front with .popFront. ;-)

> The problem was that there was no "developer" server, only the real
> production server and I had to write the client software without
> losing orders as these were real orders of parts the supplier. It was
> impossible to negotiate with T. that there system was stupid. I
> managed to only lose 4 orders which amounted to several thousands of
> euros.

Ah yes, the good ole read-once-only system. It's starting to sound more
and more like a legacy system inherited from the 70's or 80's where such
weird practices were commonplace. Probably a 90's website bolted on top
of a 70's legacy system, inextricably linked to the single production
server so it cannot be cloned into a staging server but only works with
the real one.  Wouldn't be surprised if the developers actually *worked*
on the real server and don't even have a testing server to test their
changes on.

Why have vacation when you can work?? -- EC