Why people dislike global variables so much while I find them so convenient?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Jan 26 14:44:28 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 26 January 2022 at 09:27:28 UTC, rempas wrote:

> I started getting interested in programing in 2020 (even tho I
> had some prior experience with Python in school but this
> doesn't count) so I didn't had the joy to work with any version
> of FORTRAN. Fun fact: I thought that FORTRAN (do we really need
> to write it in capital letters?) is an ancient language but I
> made a research and found out that it is still updated!!!

The numbers behind the name are roughly the year of the standard.
FORTRAN 66 and FORTRAN 77 used all caps. Fortran 90 and later
dropped the all caps thing.

Modern Fortran isn't bad if you're working in the domain for
which it was written. I wouldn't hesitate to take it over C, C++,
or Rust for that type of work.