Building from source on Windows

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 22:21:12 UTC 2022

On Friday, 28 January 2022 at 21:55:07 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Would help if you posted the exact error message(s) here
> (including how you expect it to behave) so that people know how
> to help you.  "It doesn't work" gives no information as to what
> went wrong, and isn't an actionable bug report.
>
> Cf.: https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

the error(s) depend on what instructions I'm following....

yesterday I was using these instructions:

https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Windows

what the $%@% ... it's so complicated!

I spent hours on it!

when googling about it, all kinds of people had all kinds of
error messages..

I got some message about ../generated/ .. something not
existing... which made no sense at all...

I really would prefer to not waste any more time on things that
don't work.

I'm more interested in whether someone knows a step-by-step
guaranteed way to build a build system **from scratch** (i.e. not
adding stuff to an existing system that might cause all kinds of
dependency problems, and hence you get all these nonsensical
errors).

On linux, I just git the source and make. That's it.