Building from source on Windows

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 05:43:50 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 29 January 2022 at 05:00:20 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:

> On 29/01/2022 3:07 PM, forkit wrote:
>> still trying to take-apart this command 'dub run digger'.. wtf
>> is it doing ... I gotta work that out first :-(
>
> Step 1: Download digger + dependencies
> Step 2: Compile digger
> Step 3: Run digger
>
> https://github.com/CyberShadow/Digger/blob/master/dub.sdl
>
> Pretty straight forward as far as digger itself is concerned.

gunna try the easy option... so most new-comers are going to want
to do just that ;-)

'Building with Visual Studio'

 From here: https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Windows

I started with clean install of Windows 10 and clean install of
VS2017 Enterprise (the same version used in the instructions on
that site)

Downloaded and installed Visual D as it states.

All is fine with Visual Studio. Can build D projects, compile and
run.

ok. Visual D integration with VS2017 seems fine.

Proceed to next instructions:

So I have all the source in the directory as per the instructions
(D:\source\D)

I open a cmd prompt:

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2017\Enterprise\VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvarsall.bat" x64
(Ok, that worked fine)

cd C:\source\D\druntime
set VCDIR="C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual
Studio\2017\Enterprise\VC"
(everything fine so far)

make -f win64.mak -j4 "VCDIR=%VCDIR%"
Command error: undefined switch '-j4'
(ok, first problem has appeared)

(let's try without the -j4 then)

make -f win64.mak "VCDIR=%VCDIR%"
Error: don't know how to make 'Files'
(great. another error)

there is no make on my system?? instructions have not factored
that in yet??