Building from source on Windows

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 20:20:06 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 30 January 2022 at 10:03:28 UTC, frame wrote:

> If you ignore this and mix up 32 and 64bit / MS-COFF you have
> not to wonder why something will not work as expected.

yeah, I knew what, but since -m doesn't work, you gotta remove it.

The tools built ok, and all 64bit.

(except for the dman.exe tool, which I've never heard of and have
no idea what it does, and it's isn't in the D distribution anyway.

What I can say, after a lot of mucking around, and a little help,
is that building from source on Windows is as easy as it is on
linux.

just git and make. that's it.

providing all the prerequistes programs/settings are in place of
course ;-)

- an exisiting installation of windows
- an exisiting installation of visual studio build tools
- an exisiting installation of dmd
- an exisiting installation of dmc (which has the 'make' that
you'll need)
- set the correct settings for VCDIR, SDKDIR, and BINDIR in the
win64.mak files for druntime and phobos (didn't need it for dmd
or the tools) to match your version of VS.

then run 'make -f win64.mak' in each of the folders for dmd,
druntime, phobos, tools... and you're done.

That's really all there is too it.