Building from source on Windows

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 22:20:38 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 30 January 2022 at 20:33:58 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> This should be incorporated into the wiki page so that the next
> person that comes along can benefit from it.

I'm still working on gaining a fuller understanding of all this.

Also, I don't just want to know 'what', but also 'why'.

The 'what' on it's own, just gives you a very limited
understanding, which is problematic when things go wrong.

The problem with existing wiki (well, one of it's problem) is it
lacks a good explanation of precisely why you need what.

The most complex part at the moment, is working out 'precisely'
what VS components you need, and why.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/workload-component-id-vs-community?view=vs-2022&preserve-view=true#desktop-development-with-c

Ideally, the whole thing (installing VS/DMD/DMC/GIT/) could be
open scripted as well.

I don't like the process being hidden behind some executable
thing, like
dub digger dogger... ....