[OT] The Usual Arithmetic Confusions

Elronnd elronnd at elronnd.net
Mon Jan 31 11:00:26 UTC 2022

On Monday, 31 January 2022 at 10:06:40 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> It matters when it matters

Please show me a case where it matters.  I already asked for
this: show me a case where a large-scale c or c++ application
performs appreciably better because signed overflow is UB.  It is
easy to test this: simply tell gcc or clang -fwrapv and they will
stop treating overflow as UB.

I will add: does it also not matter when the compiler makes an
assumption that does not accord with your intent, causing a bug?
I consider this more important than performance.