call traceback is indecipherable garbage

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 20:43:21 UTC 2022

On Monday, 31 January 2022 at 15:57:44 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:

> I think you're coming at this with the model that the user can
> just re-run the program that's thrown the error. But consider
> long-running services deployed in an enterprise context. In
> that situation, if an error occurs, there might be quite a long
> time until you get to see it again - you can't just rerun the
> program, because the "program" is actually a docker container
> processing live user data, and you can't just call up your
> users and tell them "do that thing again" because it may have
> been many hours ago. In that situation - well, in that
> situation, usually you will have long ago set that environment
> variable by default in your reused deployment code. But it's
> still going to be annoying to the people trying to debug what
> went wrong there.

A running program is unaffected.

It would have to be recompiled before this change is adopted.

This provides the opportunity to set that environment variable,
'if needed'.

> On the other hand, with a console app usually the developer
> will have encountered errors plenty of times during
> development. So they'll probably have wrapped main with a
> `catch (Throwable) { writeln(Throwable.msg); exit(1); }` or
> something.

Nice. I hope the developer properly considered this during the
development process ;-)

> I think it's better by default to give more info rather than
> less. You can always ignore stuff you don't care about; you
> can't anti-ignore stuff that was never printed.

Knowing what frames are on the call stack when an exception is
caught by the runtime is a 'debugging aid'. I do not see the case
for having it printed by default, resulting in end-users trying
to decipher it's nonsense.