auto arr = [1, 2, 3] should be a static array, not a GC allocated array

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Thu Jul 14 19:39:17 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 12:18:34PM -0700, Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 7/14/22 11:55, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>
> > Maybe int[static array] would make it much more obvious to newbies. ;-)
>
> Looks good but 'array' is a legal identifier. :( Luckily nothing some
> creative acrostic can't fix:
>
>   int[static alias,ref,return,assert,'y'] arr;
[...]
> Ok, too much silliness for one day. I stop here.
[...]

But but but... this is proposed syntax for automatically detecting the
length of a static array.  At the very least, it should spell out this
fact:

	int[auto static pragma(array, length)] arr;

The pragma, of course, is to provide a context where legal identifiers
have special meaning. :-D

On a serious note, though, int[$] is ideal.

Music critic: "That's an imitation fugue!"