New competitor to D

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 19:40:21 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 19 July 2022 at 17:40:45 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 04:27:25PM +0000, Tejas via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> There is a new language that claims to be the successor to C++
>> in town, and it's got Google's funding 😥
>>
>> It's called carbon
>>
>> https://github.com/carbon-language/carbon-lang
>>

>> What do you folk think?
> [...]
>
> Seems it has quite a few of D's good ideas:
> [snip]

Thanks for the summary. It feels like a big language, at least
from what I've read so far.

The generics system looks like two things: interfaces with type
erasure plus a templates system comparable to C++'s. Interfaces
come across as an alternative to Concepts and wouldn't be
consistent with how Andrei has pushed Design by Introspection.
Regardless I can think of where that would be useful.
Particularly on the type erasure side of things. Some consistent
way to handle that type of behavior would have been nice. inout
feels bolted on.