New competitor to D

Templated Person templated at person.com
Wed Jul 20 09:35:14 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 20 July 2022 at 07:23:04 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> We have multiple GC's

Do we _really_ have multiple GCs though? How do you we use them,
what are the advantages / disadvantages of each one?

> there is also std.experimental.allocator

Which is useless until Phobos data types are refactored to use
that as a parameter.

---

If you ask me, D is better than most languages out there and it
should be the default way of migrating out of C++. But that's not
gonna happen until at least multiple of the following happens:

- The runtime gets leaner and more configurable, gotta have that
wasm support.
- Modern features such as sum types & pattern matching, nullables
& tuples in the language (not as libraries).
- Allocators passed into functions (+ a "garbage collecting
allocator" like we have now)

Right now D is trying to compete with Java / Go and C++ / Rust
and failing at both. Just choose to compete with the lower level
ones and then higher-level stuff can be added later.