New competitor to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:46:15 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 20 July 2022 at 13:46:25 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> It's clearly Rust--.

They already have a bunch of fans that defends poorly thought out
aspects of the syntax that a usability analysis ought to have
uncovered. So I think we can expect that Google will move ahead
with it… as it is already «popular» on social media…

Reminds me of how Google created Dart as dynamic language, then
as an afterthought made a U-turn and redesigned it to become more
like Java. Or how Go doesn't have exceptions, then added a
hackish «panic» solution . How they didn't have generics, then
added a weak generics design many years later. Also the Go
dynamic arrays uses slices that will split when you extend it, so
that you have two arrays instead of one as a surprise. (D also
has this flaw).

Designers are often not good at being objective about their own
design, so I would expect a large organisation like Google to use
usability experts and make sure to get an external usability
evaluation and also an external critical examination of semantics
before the design is presented to the world.

Makes you wonder what the internal project management is like?