version(number) is completely useless

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 05:51:13 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 21 July 2022 at 03:57:31 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> At least using `static if` on enums as versioning I have
> managed to discourage, like using operator overloading for I/O.

Seems like you have encouraged people to avoid using ‘version’
and inventing their own schemes. So you got a many different
chaotic expressions of versioning instead of a singular one. How
is this easier for library users to deal with?

Ideally the language versioning expressions should be the same as
the package manager uses.

(There is nothing wrong with having operators for I/O and ranges,
D would be better if it did provide such.)