New competitor to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 11:06:37 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 21 July 2022 at 08:15:56 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 July 2022 at 18:20:17 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
> wrote:
>> Can't blame them for not being focused and making a U-turn?
>
> They had a mistake and fixed it, happens all the time.

No, they didn't make a mistake, it was designed as a JavaScript
replacement. They had an experienced language designer, but put
in so many mainstream requirements that he felt that the
resulting language was watered down and "bland". Then internal
demands for something Java-like (I think they used Dart for their
Google Ads software) forced it in a more Java-like direction.
There is really no other reason for Dart to exist today than
Google's internal use and Flutter. It is a "me too" language with
no real identity.