New competitor to D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:31:04 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 21 July 2022 at 12:16:31 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> My understanding is that it was designed as a language for
> webapps. Simply replacing JavaScript isn't much of a goal.

The Dart VM JIT was supposed to go into the Chrome executable as
a more performant VM JIT than the one for JavaScript, but it was
dropped. The people who designed Dart also worked on StrongTalk,
a faster SmallTalk variant, and that [VM design was later turned
into HotSpot for
Java](https://comp.lang.smalltalk.narkive.com/GIFQd2Ri/strongtalk-vm-is-now-open-source).
So the Dart designers had knowledge of how language design
affects VM/JIT performance.

(Dart also compiles to JavaScript as a cross-platform feature,
but that was not the original primary use case.)